The World Health Organization (WHO) has advocated for increased vigilance in countries where lockdown protocols have been eased, saying that the possibility of a second wave of the deadly coronavirus pandemic has necessitated the adoption of adequate cautionary measures aimed at curbing spread of the viral infection among the people.
It said that the advice was based on records received from nations such as Germany, South Korea, and others, that experienced a rise in coronavirus incidents after the implementation of lockdown suspensions within their regions.
The Head, WHO Emergency Program, Dr. Mike Ryan, stated that infection figures were noted to have risen in several countries following ease in the protective stay-at-home orders, and added that such occurrences raised global concerns about a renewed wave of the pandemic across the world.
Ryan, while speaking to newsmen on Monday, said that it was pertinent for nations to avoid a re-occurrence of the viral outbreak at such as time as when the world was recording lower incidence rates in several countries.
He reiterated that it was thus pertinent for nations to stay vigilant and ensure that adequate response systems remained in place even as plans were being implemented to suspend lockdown and restart economies that had been affected by the pandemic.
“Now we are seeing some hope as many countries exit these lockdowns but extreme vigilance is required. If the disease persists at a low level without the possibility to investigate clusters there’s always the possibility that the virus takes off again,” he said.