By Olawale Abdul-Fatah
Atleast two persons have been confirmed dead and 23 others suffering severe degrees of burns when gas exploded in Ajegunle, Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government, Lagos State.
The two persons, the Guild gathered on Thursday, were a male and female children in the community.
While the female child had been evacuated by the family immediately after the disaster, the male child was yet to be removed when our correspondent arrived at the scene.
The deceased, who met his untimely death during the explosion, was identified by his family as Damilare Afolabi.
The Guild learnt that property worth millions of naira was also destroyed with the entire community still counting their losses from the tragic gas explosion which ravaged their neighbourhood.
It was learnt that a gas cylinder shop in the community had exploded as a result of leakage, leading to an inferno that enveloped the community and got many residents trapped in it.
Further investigations revealed that the fire ignited as a result of a call being made by an unidentified resident which escalated to other nearby shops and a bungalow behind the shops.
Confirming the causality figure, the Director General, Lagos Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said that those suffered burns have being evacuated to the Burn Unit , Gbagada General Hospital.
He added that of the 23 injured, five persons including three children and two adult female were seriously burnt and currently admitted at the Gbagada hospital.
According to him, the entire area has been cordoned and post disaster assessment is ongoing.
“As a result of visible cracks and intensity of fire, it is advised that a controlled demolition should be carried out on the burnt structure in order to prevent any secondary incident. Operation ongoing”.