34.8 C
Lagos
Thursday, February 19, 2026

Police denies organ harvesting claims in Cross River

By Asuquo Cletus

Following a viral social media post linking the discovery of corpses in Isong Nyang, Akamkpa Local Government Area of Cross River State to organ harvesting, the Cross Rivers Police Command has dismissed claims that such illegal activities are occurring under its watch.

According to the command, a thorough investigation by its operatives revealed that the eight corpses found in an abandoned metal shed near a scrap site at Isong Nyang Junction, Akamkpa LGA were not connected to organ traffickers.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Eitokpah Sunday, stated on Thursday that operatives visited the scene after receiving a report about the discovery.

“Upon visiting the scene, one suspect, Sunday Reuben Ben, 56, was apprehended. During interrogation, he confessed that he was formerly a staff member and locally trained mortician with Enghaut Company in Akamkpa, where he managed the company’s morgue and handled deceased staff members,” the statement read.

According to the police, the suspect revealed that he also received bodies of staff relatives without formal authorization from the company’s management and preserved them in the morgue.

The PPRO explained that the company closed operations last year and was subsequently sold to another firm. Verified staff members’ corpses were released to their families for burial after due compensation.

He added that eight corpses, six males and two females, belonging to relatives of staff not officially documented by the company were left in the suspect’s custody.

“The suspect stated that he was instructed to evacuate the remaining corpses. Consequently, he relocated them to a metal shed in Isong Nyang community near Raboni Church, Akamkpa,” Sunday said.

He further stated that on February 12, 2026, the metal shed was allegedly vandalized by unknown persons, exposing the corpses and triggering panic, along with unverified social media claims of organ harvesting.

The police said five of the corpses had been identified by relatives and were being evacuated for burial, while efforts continued to identify and evacuate the remaining bodies.

“Investigation is still ongoing. The command urges members of the public to remain calm and desist from spreading unverified information capable of causing unnecessary panic and tension within the state,” the statement added.

The command reaffirmed its commitment to safeguarding lives and property and urged residents to report credible information through its official channels.

Related Articles

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles