Report on Interest
under logo

Niger Gov. debunks abducted students release claim, faults report

By Idowu Abdullahi

The Niger State Governor, Abubakar Bello, has faulted reports from some sections that the abducted students and members of staff of Government Science College, Kagara, have been released by their abductors.

He explained that the clarification became imperative in ensuring the citizens, particularly families of the victims were not been misinformed on the situation of things surrounding the abductions.

The governor said that though efforts are ongoing by the state and federal government in ensuring safe rescue of the victims, adding that reports on the purported release of the students were false.

Briefing newsmen on Friday at the Government House in Minna, the state capital, shortly after meeting renowned Islamic Scholar, Sheikh Abubakar Gumi, Bello assured that all avenues are being explored in ensuring all abducted persons are rescued unhurt.

“As at this moment, we do not have any additional information to give apart from the one given earlier on, yesterday. But I want to assure you that we are doing everything we can, we are interfacing with the local communities, with federal authorities and our own state authorities to ensure that we recover the victims safely.

“Everything that is being said out there is rumour and in situations like this, we cannot work with rumour, it has to be confirmed. Yes, we’ve been receiving different rumours from different people within villages but we are still treating those as rumour until processed and confirmed.

“Our utmost priority right now is to make sure we bring them back home safe and that is exactly what we are going to do. So, there hasn’t been any information I can give you at this moment but once we have anything for you, we will let you know,” he said.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: