Report on Interest
under logo

Lagos Govt. warns against indiscriminate fuel storage after scarcity lingers

By Monsurudeen Olowoopejo

The Lagos State Government has warned residents and motorists to desist from indiscriminately storing fuel in their homes and other property not approved for product storage in the state.

It noted that the storages were responsible for the sudden increase in the number of cases of fire disasters recorded across the state

The State Fire Chief, Adeseye Margaret, gave the warning through a statement released on Sunday by Head, Public Affairs for the agency, Dosunmu Jamiu.

Adeseye noted that since the advent of fuel scarcity some people have devised various illegal means of storing the product such as the boot of their vehicles, under staircases at home, or within the premises of their working place, according to her, these are factors responsible for the increase in the number of Fire outbreaks which led to destruction of lives and properties being witnessed recently in the State.

Adeseye reiterated that the State Government places a high premium on the Safety of Lives and Properties of the Citizenries, therefore the nonchalant attitudes of the Public to basic principles of Safety of Lives and Properties is of great concern to the Government as the total number of emergency calls thus far in the month is way higher than 82 of a corresponding period October 2022.
The figure according to Adeseye is worrisome as the Agency is extending its safety enlightenment campaign to all Local Government Areas, Hospitals, Schools, and Grassroots, all in an effort to curb the tide of incident management associated with Fire and related emergency outbreaks.
According to her, Fuel Scarcity is not a yardstick for illegitimate and inappropriate storage of Fuel to the detriment of our Lives and Properties. She hereby warned the Public to avoid using Jerry Cans that have been used for Petrol to store Kerosene and any other flammable Liquids and further advised Motorists not to store Petrol in their Boots, especially Commercial Vehicles.
She urged Landlords and (Co) Tenants to be observant and prevent inappropriate storage of Fuel in and around their homes while enjoining Filling Stations to disallow Customers clustering around Dispensing Pumps in order to avoid scuffle that can spark off outbreak of Fire and avoid dispensing Fuel in Polythene Bags.

Margaret, meanwhile, advised The public that Fire Outbreaks spotted, especially in this period, should be quickly reported to the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service for prompt action on Toll-Free Nos. 767 or 112 and the Lagos Fire Hotline, 08033235891.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.

%d bloggers like this: