By Olawale Abdul-Fatah
Following the gas explosion that killed atleast four persons in Lagos, the State Government has warned dealers against operating without permits in the state.
The State Government stressed the essence of the assessment and accreditation was to ensure safety of lives and property in Lagos State.
General Manager, LASEPA, Dr Dolapo Fasawe, gave the warning on Friday in a statement signed the agency’s Public Affairs Officer, Bola Ajao, and made available to the Guild, called for caution in the storage and usage of gases for both domestic and commercial activities.
Fasawe urged gas storage facility managers and users to ensure regular integrity test on all gas storage tanks and cylinders in their outfits.
She further cited Section 187, Subsection 1-5 of Lagos State Environmental Management and Protection Law, which states that facilities that have storage tanks (for all gases including cooking gas sellers) must apply for assessment and accreditation by LASEPA annually.
This came on the heels of the unfortunate incident of the gas explosion at Ajegunle, in Ajeromi Ifelodun Local Government area of the state where lives were lost.
While commiserating with the families of the victims, she reiterated the commitment of the government towards protection of its citizens from indiscriminate exposure to environmental hazards.
The LASEPA boss advised for immediate evacuation from the vicinity, where suspected air pollution from any gaseous substances is observed.
She added that the public should avoid the use of any material capable of triggering fire in such environment, including mobile phones, lighter and matches and all other electrical appliances to avoid loss of lives and property.
“Gas leakages are common and dangerous source of air pollution; therefore, only properly trained personnel should handle compressed gas cylinders. The cylinders must not be exposed to direct sources of heat and ignition (flame and sunlight) and should be kept in properly ventilated storage areas.
“When gas cylinders are being filled, mechanical tools that can cause a spark must not be used to open the valves and movements around the gas-filling area must be restricted,” Fasawe cautioned.
The Guild 3893 posts 39 comments