After being granted permission to represent himself in his ongoing terrorism trial, the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, was unable to begin his defence at the Federal High Court in Abuja.
Kanu’s failure to open his defence followed his decision to withdraw his legal team, led by former Attorney General of the Federation, Nkemdilim Agabi (SAN).
During Friday’s proceedings, however, the IPOB leader told the court that he could not proceed because he had not been given access to the case file, which he said was necessary for him to adequately prepare his defence.
Prosecuting counsel, Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), told the court that the day had been set for the defendant to open his defence.
Kanu, representing himself, explained that he could not proceed because he had not been granted access to the case file, which remains in the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS), where he is held.
He requested an adjournment until Monday, October 27, to allow him time to review the documents.
Kanu also noted that he is expecting witnesses from countries including the United Kingdom, the United States, Kenya, and Ethiopia, and sought permission to meet with them over the weekend to prepare.
The prosecution raised no objections, and Justice Daniel Omotosho instructed the DSS to allow Kanu to receive visitors on Saturday and Sunday.
The judge adjourned the case until October 27 for Kanu to formally open his defence and cautioned that the six-day window allocated for his defence, starting October 23, would not be extended further.


