No fewer than 18 passengers were reported to have been kidnapped by gunmen after attacking a commercial bus in Akoko South East Local Government, Ondo State.
The bus, which was said to have left the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja for Lagos State, was attacked by the gunmen on Thursday at a failed portion on Idoani-Ifira Akoko road in the northern senatorial district of the state.
At the failed portion, it was learnt that before the bus arrived at the scene, the armed men had strategically positioned themselves at the location and on sighting the vehicle, ordered that the driver stop immediately.
According to eyewitnesses, the kidnappers shot sporadically in the air to scare off villagers and vigilantes that could halt the abduction of the passengers from the scene.
It was learnt that other motorists were forced to abandon their vehicles and ran into the bush, to prevent their kidnap by the gunmen who dispossessed the passengers of their belongings before taking them away from the scene.
The Commander of Ondo State Security Outfit, codenamed Amotekun, Adetunji Adeleye, confirmed the incident to newsmen and promised that the security outfit would ensure the prompt rescue of the passengers.
Also, Confirming the incident, the Divisional Police Officer, DPO, for Isua Akoko Division, Hakeem Sadiq, said that the anti-kidnapping unit of the police command, as well as other sister agencies, had already swung into action towards rescuing the abducted travellers unhurt.