Tragedy struck at Eta Agbor area of Calabar Municipality in Cross River State after a one year old baby was burnt to death in fire caused by candle light at a thatch house.
As gathered, the incident which happened during the weekend saw the infant burnt to ashes while there was no one to offer help around as the inferno rages.
Aside from the victim, the house was also razed down by the fire with only charred remains of the building giving an indication of the extent of the incident.
Confirming the development, mother of the child, Ms Glory Etim-Akpan, 19, told journalistts that her child was sick, and that she had went out to a pharmacy in the area to buy drugs and pampers for her.
Etim-Akpan said she left the deceased child, Kate Dickson, at home sleeping, while the candle light was burning. “My baby was having cough and catarrh, so I went out to buy drugs for her and pampers. Before leaving the house, I lighted a candle on top of a metal plate in the room.
“I didnt even get to the pharmacy when I received a call that our house was on fire. It was not up to 30 minutes that I left the house.
“Neighbours around heard my baby crying, but they couldn’t intervene. When I came back, we broke the door and I found out that my baby was already burnt to death.
“Also, I lost all my properties including my certificates. The fire burnt down my apartment completely,” she lamented.
Etim-Akpan said that her life has been shattered because she has no where to stay, no food to eat and no clothes to wear. She appealed to well meaning Nigerians to come to her aid through financial and material support.