Report on Interest
under logo

Guinea in turmoil after Army takes over government

By News Desk

Activities in the Guinean capital, Conakry, has been paralysed after military officers announced that they have dissolved the constitution and government in the West African state.

Meanwhile, the country’s defence ministry has said that the attempted coup by the military officers had been put down and that the security forces, contained the threat as well as repelling the group of assailants.

Before the ministry’s claim on Sunday, the soldiers, who staged the uprising in the West African state, in a short broadcast aired on state television, stressed that they have dissolved the constitution and urged the people to stay indoors.

After the claim, a video surfaced online showed President Alpha Conde being surrounded by soldiers but the country leader’s whereabouts were unclear.

As gathered, there were reports of heavy gunfire in Conakry near the presidential palace though it was unclear who was responsible for shooting beside the seat of power.

An unidentified soldier, draped in Guinea’s national flag and surrounded by eight other armed soldiers, said in the broadcast that they planned to form a transitional government and would give further details later.

A military source told newsmen that the bridge connecting the rest of the city to the Kaloum neighbourhood, which houses most ministries and the presidential palace, had been sealed off and many soldiers were posted around the palace.

A military source said that the gunfire involved angry members of the special forces, an elite army corps. The source did not say what caused the anger.

Another military source said the only bridge connecting the mainland to the Kaloum neighbourhood, which houses most of the ministries and the presidential palace, had been sealed off and many soldiers, some heavily armed, were posted around the palace.

The Guinean defence ministry said that an attack by mutinous special forces on the presidential palace had been repelled, though it was not immediately clear who held power.

“The presidential guard, supported by the loyalist and republican defence and security forces, contained the threat and repelled the group of assailants. Security and combing operations are continuing to restore order and peace,” he added.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: